Memphis police officer Chancy Jones murdered his mistress Phyllis Malone when she refused to get an abortion

Mugshot of Clancy Jones
Clancy Jones had been having an extra-marital affair with Phyllis Malone when he gunned her down at a gas station. Pic credit: Shelby County Sheriff’s Office

Southern Gothic looks at the case of Phyllis Malone, a young mother who was gunned down at a gas station in Memphis, Tennessee, by the man she had recently begun having an affair with, Chancy Jones.

Jones was three years with the Memphis Police Department when he began an affair with Phyllis Malone.

Their fling had only been going on for several weeks when on September 8, 2008, the pair met at a gas station and got into a heated argument.

Phyllis Malone and Clancy Jones argued over an abortion

Malone informed Jones that she was pregnant with his child and that she was going to tell his wife. Jones demanded that she get an abortion.

It’s then alleged that as Malone went to leave, Jones shot her three times at point-blank range.

Worried that the police would make a connection between the two using phone records, he took her cellphone from her car and later threw it in a river.

In court, Jones would later claim that he shot her out of fear she was going to run him over.

Watch the Latest on our YouTube Channel

Jones fled the scene, and Malone’s lifeless body was discovered by a delivery driver the next day. She was slumped in her front seat.

An autopsy ruled that she wasn’t pregnant.

Jones reported for his shift the next day and was questioned by homicide detectives while on duty. After intense questioning, he finally admitted to murdering Malone.

Jones, 37, was convicted of second-degree murder for the crime and sentenced to 24 years in prison without parole.

More from Investigation Discovery

Follow the links to read about more grisly murders profiled on ID.

Last week on Southern Gothic, Jerry McFadden, who called himself “the animal,” had a long history of abducting and raping young women throughout the 1970s and 1980s. In 1986 he murdered two teenagers’ execution-style before raping and strangling their friend Suzanne Harris.

While awaiting trial, he abducted a female prison officer and escaped prison, which prompted the largest manhunt in Texas history. When he was eventually recaptured, he was sentenced to death and was executed in 1999.

Also on ID last week was the case of David Martin Long, who was hitch-hiking in Texas when Donna Jester picked him up and offered him a place to stay at her home in Houston.

A week later, Long attacked Donna and her mother, Dalpha Jester, with a hatchet and hacked them both to death. When their lodger, Laura Lee Owens, returned home, Long also hacked her to death.

When cops finally caught up with Long, he told them he killed them because he was fed up with their bickering.

Catch Southern Gothic Mondays at 10/9c on Investigation Discovery.

Notify of

Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x