Mark Anthony Conditt, the Austin Serial Bomber, killed two and injured four: See No Evil investigates

Mark Conditt smiling in a profile pic
Mark Conditt confessed to the Austin bombings but never explained why he did it. Pic credit: FBI

See No Evil is investigating the crimes of Mark Anthony Conditt, aka the Austin Serial Bomber, who terrorized the Texan city for one month in 2018.

Six of Conditt’s homemade bombs detonated, and a seventh was defused. He killed two people, 39-year-old Anthony Stephan House and 17-year-old Draylen Mason, and injured another four before he blew himself up as he was about to be arrested.

The 23-year-old Conditt seemingly targeted his victims at random, sending his bombs, mostly using FedEx, to homes around the Austin area.

Conditt’s victims appeared to be unknown to him and each other, and their race, age, and gender varied. The bomber was unconnected to any terrorist group and was seemingly unmotivated by any ideology.

The first device exploded on March 2 on Anthony House’s porch and sadly took his life. The second and third bombs detonated on March 12, killing teenager Mason, injuring his mother, and severely injuring Esperanza Morena Herrera. The first three bombs had been mailed to their victims.

On March 18, the fourth bomb was left on the side of the road in a residential area and was attached to a “Drive Like Your Kids Live Here” sign. The police believe it was detonated by a tripwire. It injured two men in their 20s.

A bomb destroyed family kitchen
The police released an image of the destruction caused to the Mason family kitchen. Pic credit: FBI

On March 20, a fifth bomb exploded at a FedEx facility just outside Austin, injuring an employee. The bomb/packet had been intended for an Austin address. Later that day, another bomb/packet was discovered and diffused at a separate FedEx facility.

Watch the Latest on our YouTube Channel

The investigators closed in on Mark Anthony Conditt

In the meantime, the cops, aided by the FBI and the ATF, began to close in on Conditt. They recovered surveillance footage of the killer from a Home Depot store where he purchased the street sign used in the fourth bombing, along with other items used in the making of bombs.

Surveillance footage of Conditt buying a sign
Mark Anthony Conditt was spotted buying the street sign used in the fourth bombing. Pic credit: FBI

The investigators also found surveillance footage of the bomber sending packages at a FedEx facility.

The police discovered Conditt’s home in Pflugerville, TX, to the north of Austin, where they found bomb-making equipment. Conditt’s two roommates were questioned by agents but were ultimately released when it became clear they were completely unaware of their housemate’s activities.

In the meantime, Conditt had fled to a nearby hotel. In the early hours of March 21, the cops learned of Conditt’s location as he tried to drive away from the hotel. The police followed his vehicle, and as he approached the Interstate, the cops pushed his car into a ditch.

Mark Anthony Conditt confessed to bombings and blew himself up

As the cops moved in on Conditt’s car, he detonated a bomb, killing himself and injuring a member of the SWAT team.

The investigators found a video on the bomber’s cellphone, where he confessed to being the perpetrator but didn’t explain his motives or how he targeted his victims. The confession footage has not been made public.

Austin police chief Brian Manley called the video “The outcry of a very challenged young man talking about challenges in his life that led him to this point.”

See No Evil airs at 9/8c on Investigation Discovery.

Notify of

Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x